Thursday, January 17, 2008

Gaining Weight in '08

I looked in the mirror this morning and didn't recognize the person staring back.
Actually I did. That statement was dumb and a bit melodramatic.
It was me. Why wouldn't it be? That was stupid.
But the person was bloated and pale, hadn't shaved for two days and desperately needed an unibrow pluck. Kinda sweaty too.
2008 has started out as being the year of the slob. And that's exactly what I've become. Ever since I found out that I didn't make the cut as an FBI agent, I've been spiraling downhill. Last month I was working out five times a week, doing push-ups, sit-ups and sprints every day.
However, last night I polished off a 2-liter Diet Dew and a bag of Quaker Cheddar rice cakes.
Before dinner.
Then I ate half a large Pizza King deluxe topping thin cruster and four packs of the Captain's Wafers with my salad.
The floorboards of my car are covered in fast-food bags and pop cans. I can't fit into half my dress pants and I get winded taking the elevator.
I've lost all motivation to work out, watch what I eat, or even think about preparing for the marathon that I'm running in three months. Maybe it's the fact that it's minus-54 wind chill outside. But I just don't really care right now.
I just want to sit in my bathrobe and watch football.
If anyone has any idea how to break out of this rut, I'm all ears. Until then, you'll know where to find me.
Just follow the Twinkie crumbs.

1 comments:

Alice said...

I say revel in it. It is January. It is fucking cold outside. It's okay to wallow in self-pity -- but just for awhile. When the pants get so tight that you have to shop at the "big boy store", then it has gone on long enough. What you don't want is to become one of those people that cause other people to disappear on the shuttle.

I feel your pain - I have been in your position before so I know of what I speak. When the time comes, tap into something you love and step out of your comfort zone to create a new experience. The rut will disappear and the future will seem bright once more - so get a new pair of shades in advance.