Tuesday, January 8, 2008

An Inconvenient Truth

I receive an error message on my work computer this morning - 'Unexpected shutdown due to thermal event'.
Naturally, I press F1 to continue instead of F2 to enter safe mode. When it comes to computers I tend to live my life on the edge. Safe mode is for pansies.
It shuts down again. I pay it no mind and reboot. Sounds like a challenge.
Me not being an IT guy, I don't realize that a thermal event means that the fan is not working on the motherboard and the computer has been slowly cooking in its own juices. I should have realized this because the term 'thermal event' usually means something along those lines. It had me thinking that hot lava would be spewing from my PC tower, but as that sounded totally awesome, I continued working.
Finally, it quit for good.
So now I have a decision to make. Do I call the IT help desk, thus risking the exposure to my violation of the Internet usage policy? (See: blogging, online mahjong, et. al.) Or do I try to continue my career eschewing the computer altogether? (See: relearning how to handwrite).
Throwing caution to the wind, I called IT. They were surprisingly helpful and friendly and replaced my computer in less than an hour.
But this thermal event got me thinking. Is it a sign of the times? Did my computer shut down because of the greenhouse effect? Have the effects of global warming infiltrated the office setting? Will it have other ramifications Agency-wide? Will the fridge in the break room spontaneously defrost? Will the ferns on the secretary's desk wither and die? Will the water cooler dry up? Will the paralegals become extinct?

I'm buying a hybrid.

0 comments: