Monday, January 7, 2008

Medieval Times


So I attended a wedding this weekend. For the sake of anonymity I won't reveal the names of the bride and groom, but I will say that they're relatives (by marriage, thankfully).

I've been to my fair share of bizzare weddings (see barefoot; hay bales; best man's speech referencing the size of the groom's bowel movements).

However, this one topped them all.

I'll preface this by saying that I'm not a gamer. I have never played Dungeons and Dragons, World of Warcraft or any of the role-playing video games that have inexplicably become part of our culture. I don't stand in line for Star Wars movies and couldn't begin to hold my own in a conversation about comic books.

But as you may have guessed, this was a themed wedding incorporating many of those motifs. The wedding party walked down the aisle to the Final Fantasy XII soundtrack (proudly listed in the program). The groom wore medieval garb and swords (to fend of any thief attempting to steal the bride). The groomsmen were dressed similarly although they looked more like pirates than noble serfs. The bridesmaids were adorned in princess costumes that quite obviously were purchased from those Halloween warehouse stores that are only open in October.

Guests were encouraged to dress the part as well. Not surprisingly, no one did.
A reception followed. But instead of stout mead served in gem encrusted goblets and a freshly slain stag roasted on a spit, we had to make due with cheese cubes and wine in a box.

0 comments: